• Prep time: 20 minutes
• Cook time: 10 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 2 tbsps. oil
• 1 tsp. chili powder
• 1/4 cup lime juice
• 1/4 cup soy sauce
• 2 large bell peppers (sliced)
• 1 medium onion (sliced), or 15 medium scallions (green onions)
• 1.5-2 lbs. skirt steak (or other beef or chicken easily cut into strips)
- Combine the soy sauce, lime juice, chili powder, and oil. If grilling, save a couple of tablespoons aside to toss with the vegetables.
- Slice the meat into about 1/2 inch slices. If using skirt steak, flank steak, or other meat with an obvious grain (lines through the meat), be sure to cut perpendicular to the grain, or you will be chewing a very long time. (Think about it —you want to create a lot of short fibers, not a few long ones.) Even better: have the butcher at your local market cut the meat for you—yes, they will do it!
- If you're cooking in a skillet, marinate everything together in a bowl or plastic bag (a zip-type works well). If you're grilling, marinate the meat and veggies separately. Even a few minutes helps, up to 2 hours is great.
- If you are using a grill, heat the grill until it's hot. Make sure the grill is clean and wipe it down with oil. Then drain the marinade from the meat and vegetables and grill them—it will only take a few minutes. I like to use a vegetable grill topper or basket for the vegetables.
- For cooking in a skillet (preferably regular or cast iron, not nonstick), cook the meat first (it will probably take two batches, depending upon your pan). Add a little oil to the skillet and get it very hot (the oil will shimmer). If you don't get it hot enough (or crowd too much meat in), the meat will steam instead of browning. When the meat is browned, remove and add veggies. When they begin to soften, return meat to the skillet to heat through.
- Serve with salsa, sour cream, cilantro (if desired) and guacamole. If low-carb tortillas are available, that is a nice addition, but a fork works fine.
This great family recipe is thanks to Very-Well-Fit Recipes at https://www.verywellfit.com/fajitas-chicken-or-beef-2242166?utm_campaign=yummly&utm_medium=yummly&utm_source=yummly