• Prep time: 25 minutes
• Cook time: 15 minutes
• Yield: Serves 6
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 2 cups 2% milk
• 1 tsp dried basil
• 2 tsps lemon juice
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
• 1/8 tsp coarsely ground pepper
• 3 cups small fresh broccoli florets
• 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
• 1/2 pound bacon strips, cut into 1 inch pieces
• 1 package (20 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
• 3/4 cup shredded part-skim morrarella cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook tortellini according to package directions, adding broccoli during the last 2 minutes; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 1 tablespoon in pan.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add garlic to drippings in pan; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in flour, basil, salt and pepper until blended; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat.
- Stir in 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and lemon juice. Add tortellini mixture and bacon; toss to combine. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with remaining cheeses. Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until heated through and broccoli is tender.
Freeze Option: Sprinkle remaining cheeses over unbaked casserole. Cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°.
This great family recipe is thanks to Taste of Home Recipes at https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/bacon-tortellini-bake/