Have you ever wanted to make them at home? They’re very easy to make and personally I like them much better home made. They’re a lovely appetizer for a special meal. I recently made a full tray of baked stuffed clams for Christmas Eve, and not one of them were left, they really go fast!
In fact I could have made more but then no one would have eaten anything else! Grab a bottle of wine and start your party off with a tray of delicious baked stuffed clams.
• Prep and cook time: 30 minutes
• Yield: Serves 8-10
• poaching liquid
• zest of 1 lemon
• lemon for garnish
• hot sauce (Optional)
• salt and pepper to taste
• 1 handful of chopped parsley
• 3 or 4 garlic cloves grated on 1 microplane
• 1/2 cup of grated pecorino romano cheese
• 4 tbsp each of unsalted butter and olive oil
• 2 cups homemade or good quality bread crumbs
• water, 1 cup white wine, a few whole garlic cloves, a bay leaf and a small bunch of parsley, just enough to cover the clams.
• 5 lbs. fresh, little neck clams could yield 4 dozen depending on size and discards, cleaned, scrubbed and sand removed as outlined in blogpost
- Clean clams according to step by step on blog post.
- Steam clams as stated in step by step on post.
- Prepare the half shells as pictured in post for a visual.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter and olive oil together.
- Stir in grated garlic and simmer until it's infused but not golden or dark.
- In a bowl add the breadcrumbs, zest, cheese, parsley, salt and pepper, mix together then pour in the melted oil/butter with garlic mixture and stir together until it looks like wet sand, if too dry add more melted butter and olive oil.
- Fill each half shell with a heaping teaspoon of the stuffing mixture and place them onto a foil lined sheet pan.
- Drizzle the tops with olive oil and place into a pre-heated 450 degree oven for around 8 minutes.
- They should be medium golden brown when finished, also nice and crispy.
- Serve immediately with lemon slices and hot sauce on the side.
This great family recipe is thanks to Proud Italian Cook at https://www.prouditaliancook.com/2019/12/perfect-baked-stuffed-clams.html