There is something very celebratory about combining tender calamari, little pork sausages and a spicy tomato relish on the same plate.
• Prep time: 25 minutes
• Cook time: 25 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1 lemon, quartered
• 100g wild rocket leaves
• 12 pork chipolata sausages
• 1kg small fresh squid, cleaned, tubes and tentacles separated
For Spice Tomato Salsa:
• 2 tbsps olive oil
• 2 tbsps basil leaves
• 2 tbsps tomato paste
• 2 small tomatoes, diced
• 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
• 1 tbsp salted capers, rinsed
- For the salsa, combine the tomatoes, tomato paste, chilli, capers, olive oil, basil, sea salt and pepper in a small saucepan. Place the pan over medium-low heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 12-15 minutes until thickened. Allow to cool.
- Cut down one side of each squid tube to open out, then use a small, sharp knife to score a diamond pattern on the inside. Cut each piece in half lengthways. Toss the squid tubes and the tentacles in the olive oil, then set aside.
- Heat a chargrill pan or barbecue on medium-high heat. Add the sausages and grill for 5 minutes, turning, until browned all over and cooked through. Add the squid tubes and tentacles and cook for 2 minutes, pressing down firmly until grill-marked. Turn and lightly cook the other side.
- Arrange the chipolatas and squid on 4 plates with the rocket and lemon. Season well, then serve with some of the spicy tomato relish.
This great family recipe is thanks to delicious at https://www.delicious.com.au/recipes/barbecued-squid-chipolata-sausages-spicy-tomato-relish/a7486497-d147-446a-b8f7-9b2ede1b512a?