Cooking barramundi inside a parcel locks in all the amazing moisture and flavour.
• Prep time: 1 hour & 15 minutes
• Cook time: 30 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 2 limes, sliced
• 1 tbsp peanut oil
• 1 tbsp fish sauce
• 2 tbsps grated ginger
• 4 large fresh banana leaves
• 1 1/2 cups (265g) sticky rice
• 6 spring onions, thinly sliced
• 1/2 cup (125ml) coconut milk
• 2 long red chillies, thinly sliced
• 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 4 kaffir lime leaves, finely shredded
• 4 x 200g skinless barramundi fillets
• 1 tbsp grated palm sugar or brown sugar
- Rinse rice, then soak in a bowl of cold water for 1 hour. Combine fish sauce, sugar and 1 tbs ginger in a bowl, then brush over fish.
- Set aside for 15 minutes to marinate.
- Heat oil in a frypan over medium heat and cook garlic, remaining 1 tbs ginger and half the spring onion for 2 minutes or until fragrant. Add the rice and stir to coat. Add 11/4 cups (310ml) hot water along with the coconut milk. Season and cook, covered, over low heat for 20 minutes or until rice is cooked.
- Preheat barbecue to high. Place 2 lime slices in the centre of each banana leaf and top with a fish fillet and kaffir lime leaf. Fold up to form parcels and enclose in foil to seal. Barbecue, turning, for 12 minutes or until cooked. Top with chilli and remaining spring onion, then serve with rice.
This great family recipe is thanks to delicious Recipes at https://www.delicious.com.au/recipes/barramundi-banana-leaf-coconut-rice/a9ec178c-8023-4348-9d6d-f9d605e0e6c2?current_section=recipes