• Prep time: 3 hours before cooking
• Cook time: 3-5 minutes
• Yield: Serves 24
For the octopus:
• 5 litres water
• 6 pepper corns
• 1 cup white wine
• 2 fresh bay leaves
• 1 octopus, cleaned
• 1 cup red wine vinegar
For the marinade:
• 150ml olive oil
• 60 ml balsamic
• 1 chilli finely sliced
• 1 tbsp dried oregano
• 4 cloves garlic crushed
For the salad:
• 100g feta cheese
• 150g mixed olives
• 1 lemon cut in half
• 1/2 Spanish onion finely sliced
• 2 Roma tomatoes cut into wedges
• 30ml good quality extra virgin olive oil
• 1 Lebanese cucumber cut into bite sized pieces
Preparing the octopus:
- Bring water, vinegar, wine, bay leaves and peppercorns to the boil.
- Add octopus, cover with a lid and bring back to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and leave to slowly cook for around one hour until tender. Remove from liquid and let cool.
Preparing the marinade:
- Mix all the marinade ingredients in a bowl. When the octopus is cool cut tentacles into 5cm pieces and toss with marinade. Cover and let sit for around two hours before cooking.
- While octopus is in the marinade, prepare the feta, tomato and olive salad.
Preparing the salad:
- Place all the ingredients into a mixing bowl except for the lemon. Take half a lemon and squeeze the juice over your ingredients, mix together well.
- When ready, place marinated octopus on to the hot bbq. Cook until nice and crispy on all sides, around three to five minutes.
- Place your mixed salad in the centre of you plate, top with the octopus. Finish with some fresh sea salt, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and fresh lemon on the side.
This great family recipe is thanks to ABC Recipes at https://www.abc.net.au/radio/recipes/bbq-greek-style-octopus/8905654