Meatballs are a great way to introduce lamb into more casual, shareable formats; it’s familiar, but endlessly variable with flavors and cuisines, from Spanish to Korean.
• Prep time: 10 minutes
• Cook time: 20 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 1 litre water
• 1 tbsp sugar
• 1 litre beef stock
• 2 tbsps fish sauce
• 2 tbsps vegetable oil
• 500g lean beef mince
• 3 cloves garlic, peeled
• 3/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs
• 1 packet (270g) soba noodles
• 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger, sliced
• 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger, peeled
• 1 stalk of lemongrass, bruised with back of knife
• 200g sugar snap peas or snow peas, trimmed & halved
• 4 spring onions, white parts roughly chopped, green parts sliced and set aside
• lemon wedges, to serve
• toasted sesame seeds, to serve
- In a medium saucepan combine stock, water, sugar, lemongrass & sliced ginger. Place on medium heat and simmer.
- Meanwhile combine the white parts of the spring onions, remaining ginger, and garlic in a food processor. Pulse till finely chopped. Add breadcrumbs, fish sauce and beef. Pulse until the mixture comes together (don’t over mix!).
- Form heaped-tablespoons of the mixture into meatballs by firmly rolling them between your palms. This mixture is very easy to roll and should yield about 20 or so meatballs.
- Add oil into a large pot over high heat, add meatballs and leave to brown on one side for 3 minutes. Carefully flip meatballs over and brown for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add simmering stock to the pot with the meatballs through a sieve (to catch the ginger and lemongrass, which you can discard). Turn the heat down and let the meatballs simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the soba noodles and cook for 3 minutes. Add sugar snap/snow peas, cook for another minute.
- Serve soup in large bowls, with generous squeeze of lemon juice and some sesame seeds sprinkled on top.
TIPS: To bruise the lemongrass, simply bash it with the back of a heavy knife on your cutting board all along the stalk. If you cannot find lemongrass, you may replace it with a few strips of lime peel instead.
This great family recipe is thanks to Australian Beef Recipes at https://www.australianbeef.com.au/recipes/beef-meatball-and-soba-noodle-soup/#