A delicious, unique steamed clams recipe! Beer steamed clams combined with crispy chorizo and topped with a light shaved fennel herb salad.
• Prep time: 20 minutes
• Cook time: 10 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
For Negra Modelo Steamed Clams with Chorizo:
• kosher salt
• 6 cloves garlic, sliced
• 1 bottle Negra Modelo
• 1 lemon for juice and zest
• 4 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
• 1 red onion, thinly julienned
• 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
• 1 (15 ounce can) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
• 8 oz spicy pork chorizo sausage, casings removed
• 4 lbs clams (Manila or Littleneck), cleaned and rinsed
For Shaved Fennel-Herb Salad:
• lemon wedges
• grilled bread (optional)
• fennel fronds, for garnishing
• 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
• 1/4 cup chives, finely minced
• 1 to 2 tsps extra virgin olive oil
• 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, torn
• 1 large head of fennel, cored removed and very thinly sliced
- Wash the clams well with in a large bowl of ice water (with some salt), shaking them vigorously to remove any excess sand.
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the julienned red onions, and saute for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring continously, until slightly softened. Add the garlic and saute for an addition 1 to 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the spicy chorizo (casings removed) in chunks, and saute over high heat until caramelized and just cooked through. Add the cleaned (and drained) clams and canned chickpeas, then add the Negra Modelo. Cover the pot, increase heat to high, and allow the clams to cook until they just begin to open. You may want to stir the pot once or twice to ensure the clams cook evenly.
- Add the chicken stock to the pot, and allow mixture to simmer for a few minutes. Remove the cover, add half of the lemon zest to the pot and the juice of one lemon. Stir and then season the broth to taste with salt.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the thinly shaved fennel with the cilantro leaves, fresh mint, chives, and fennel fronds with the remaining lemon zest. Drizzle with olive oil and squeeze a bit of lemon juice on top.
Toss until the greens are evenly and lightly dressed.
- Divide the clams and broth evenly between 6 bowls. Top each bowl with a handful of the shaved fennel-herb salad. Serve immediately (with grilled bread or crusty bread, if using), and a few additional torn mint leaves.
This great family recipe is thanks to A Beautiful Plate Recipes at http://www.abeautifulplate.com/negra-modelo-steamed-clams-and-chorizo-with-shaved-fennel-herb-salad/