• Prep time: 15 minutes
• Cook time: 1 hour
• Yield: Serves 4
• Juice of 1 lemon
• 3 garlic cloves, peeled
• 1/2 cup (125ml) white wine
• Roughly torn sourdough, to serve
• 1/3 cup (80ml) extra virgin olive oil
• 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
• 500g potatoes, peeled, cut into 5cm pieces
• 1kg whole octopus (or 1kg total small octopus), tentacles attached, cleaned (ask your fishmonger)
- Place the garlic and 1/4 cup (60ml) oil in a large saucepan over low heat. Cook, swirling pan occasionally, for 2 minutes to infuse. Increase heat to high, then add the octopus. Cook octopus, turning, for 2 minutes or until evenly coloured. Add the wine and bring to the boil, then cover and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 45 minutes or until octopus is tender. Remove from the heat and set aside in the pan until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, place potato in a large pan of cold salted water and bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until tender. Drain, then return to pan and cover to keep warm.
- Remove the octopus from saucepan using a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. (If using a large octopus, you may need to peel the ‘skin’ by rubbing or scraping it gently – the ‘skin’ of small octopuses can stay on.) Cut the octopus into 5cm pieces and return to the pan. Add the potato, parsley, lemon juice and remaining 1 tbs olive oil, and stir to combine.
- Serve together in a large dish, warm or cold, with sourdough.
This great family recipe is thanks to delicious Recipes at https://www.delicious.com.au/recipes/braised-octopus-potatoes/gebGoSv6