Try this baked, battered calamari with our secret ingredient of kiwifruit to bring out its natural sweetness.
• Prep time: 55 minutes
• Cook time: 50 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• salad, to serve
• 300g calamari rings
• 2 eggs, lightly beaten
• olive oil cooking spray
• lemon wedges, to serve
• 2 kiwifruit, peeled, mashed
• 2/3 cup wholemeal plain flour
• 1 cup fresh whole meal breadcrumbs
• 400g red rascal potatoes, scrubbed, cut into 2cm-thick chips
For the Tartare Sauce:
• 2 gherkins, finely chopped
• 1/2 cup reduced-fat plain yoghurt
• 1 tbsp drained capers, finely chopped
• 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Place potato on 1 prepared tray. Spray with oil. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Meanwhile, place calamari rings and kiwifruit in a glass or ceramic bowl. Stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes. Remove calamari from kiwifruit. Discard kiwifruit. Rinse under cold water. Place on a plate. Pat dry with paper towel.
- Place flour on a plate. Place egg in a shallow bowl. Place breadcrumbs on a plate. Dip 1 calamari ring into flour, shaking off excess. Dip in egg, then breadcrumbs. Place on remaining prepared tray. Repeat with remaining calamari, flour, egg and breadcrumbs. Spray with oil. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, make tartare sauce: Place yoghurt, capers, gherkin and parsley in a bowl. Stir to combine. Divide calamari and chips between plates. Serve with tartare sauce, lemon wedges and salad.
This great family recipe is thanks to Taste Recipes at https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/calamari-chips-tartare-sauce/3127f715-e613-44e1-9806-e88d99b14c18