Try our creamy risotto, oozing with mature cheddar cheese and topped with pan-fried cherry tomatoes. This comforting recipe is bursting with beautiful flavours.
• Prep and cook time: 40 minutes
• Yield: Serves 2
• 25g butter
• 150g risotto rice
• 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
• 6 spring onions, chopped
• 100g mature cheddar, grated
• a splash white wine (Optional)
• 750ml vegetable or chicken stock
For balsamic tomatoes:
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 100g cherry tomatoes
• a drizzle balsamic vinegar
• a small bunch basil, chopped
- Melt the butter in a wide shallow pan. Cook the spring onions for 4-5 minutes or until soft. Add the rice and cook, stirring, for a couple of minutes. Add the wine, if using, and bubble until absorbed. Gradually stir in the stock a little at a time, again waiting until it’s absorbed before adding more. Repeat until the rice is creamy, oozy and tender (you might not need to use all the stock, or you may need to add a splash more if the mixture is too thick).
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a separate small pan over a medium-high heat and cook the tomatoes with lots of seasoning until they are just starting to burst.
- Stir the mustard and cheese into the risotto, and season with pepper and a little salt if it needs it. Spoon into warm bowls and top with the tomatoes, a drizzle of balsamic and some basil.
This great family recipe is thanks to Olive Magazine at https://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/vegetarian/cheddar-and-spring-onion-risotto-with-balsamic-tomatoes/