Dress your roast chicken in bright green pesto. We love a classic roast chicken as much as the next guy, but every once in a while we like to dress it up. And there's no better way to use up an abundance of fresh herbs than with a basil pesto, which not only imparts herby flavor but the spice of garlic and richness of cheese and nuts. It's a favorite easy dinner to serve.
• Prep time: 25 minutes
• Cook time: 35 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
For the Pesto:
• 1/2 cup olive oil
• 1 tbsp lemon zest
• 1/4 cup lemon juice
• 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 1/4 cup freshly grated grana padano
• 2 cups basil leaves, plus more for garnish
• Kosher salt and cracked black pepper to taste
• 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, plus more for garnish
• 1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted, plus more for garnish
• 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan, plus more for garnish
For the Chicken:
• Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
• One 4 to 5 pound chicken, broken into 8 pieces
- Make the pesto: In a food processor, combine all the ingredients except the olive oil and salt and pepper. Purée until smooth, then, with the motor running, stream in the oil until a smooth pesto forms. Season with salt and pepper.
- Make the chicken: Preheat the oven to 350°. Place the chicken in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper, then toss with half of the pesto, rubbing under the skin. Place on a wire rack over a baking sheet and roast until it has reached an internal temperature of 155°, 30 minutes. Turn on the broiler and continue to cook until the chicken is golden brown and has reached an internal temperature of 165°, 4 to 6 minutes more. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a platter. Dollop the remaining pesto over top. Garnish with basil leaves, Parmesan, pine nuts and red pepper flakes, then serve.
This great family recipe is thanks to Tasting Table Recipes at https://www.tastingtable.com/cook/recipes/chicken-genovese-recipe-easy-homemade-italian-food-chicken-recipes