There is nothing traditional about this chicken shawarma nachos. The meat isn't cooked on a rotisserie and is served over corn chips but sometimes tradition has to scoot over to make room for fun.
This recipe is admittedly a little fussy for a weeknight. There are multiple components. The chicken shawarma, the mediterranean salsa, and the tahini sauce and you will need at least an hour to marinate the chicken. But! It's a very fun party nibble or Friday night dinner and a movie treat! Also it's delicious so it's worth the extra effort!
• Prep time: 15 minutes
• Cook time: 35 minutes
• Yield: Serves 6
• Corn chips
• 1/2 tsp cumin
• 1/2 tsp paprika
• 1 tsp salt, divided
• 3 tbsps lemon juice
• 1 lb chicken breasts
• 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
• 1/2 tsp ground tumeric
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 3 Roma tomatoes, diced
• 6 - 8 oz fresh feta cheese
• 1/2 tsp ground cinnamom
• 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
• 3/4 cup English cucumber, diced
• 1/2 cup small white onion, finely diced
• 1/2 cup peppadew pepper, roughly chopped
• 3/4 parsley, finely chopped (plus extra for garnish)
For sesame tahini sauce:
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 cup water
• 1 cup Tahini
• 1/2 cup lemon juice
• 4 garlic cloves, minced
- In a small bowl whisk together the yogurt, turmeric, cardamom, cinnamon, paprika, cumin and 1/2 tsp of salt. In a flat dish pour the marinade over the chicken and spread around until the chicken is completely coated on all sides.
- While the chicken is marinating stir together roma tomatoes, onions, garlic, parsley, cucumber, peppadew, lemon juice and salt in a medium sized bowl. Adjust the salt to desired taste. Allow to rest for at least an hour so flavors can combine.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Arrange chicken on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake on center rack for 25 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking prepare tahini sauce.
- Preheat oven to 400° F. On a large baking sheet lay a single layer of chips, add chicken then a small handful of feta. Repeat the layering process until ingredients are used up. Move the skillet to the top rack of the oven and cook until the cheese turns golden, 10-15 minutes. Check frequently to make sure it doesn’t get burnt.
- While still hot, top with a generous scoop of mediterranean salsa, pepadews and a drizzle of tahini sauce. Serve immediately and enjoy!
This great family recipe is thanks to The Modern Proper at https://themodernproper.com/chicken-shawarma-nachos