• Prep and cook time: 1 hour & 5 minutes
• Yield: Serves 8-10
• 2 tbsps butter
• 3 sprigs thyme
• salt and pepper
• 400gm red onion
• 800gm roast beef
• 250ml dry red wine
• 2 tbsps chopped almonds
- Rinse the beef, pat dry, truss with butcher's twine and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a frying pan and sear the roast on all sides. Remove from the pan, coat in almonds and transfer to a wire rack set inside of a roasting pan. Roast in a preheated oven at 140°C (approximately 275°F) for 45 minutes, or until cooked to your liking.
- Meanwhile, rinse the thyme, shake dry, pluck the leaves and chop. Peel the onions, cut into wedges and sauté in the pan drippings. Deglaze the pan with red wine and reduce slightly. Remove from the heat, stir in remaining cold butter and thyme and season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the roast beef to a serving platter. Serve with the onions and pan sauce.
This great family recipe is thanks to EatSmarter Recipes at https://eatsmarter.com/recipes/christmas-roast-beef