This Christmas Roast Chicken is seasoned with star anise, cloves, cinnamon, orange and maple syrup! Great to make if you're making a Christmas meal for a smaller gathering!
• Prep time: 10 minutes
• Cook time: 10 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 1 tsp salt
• pinch of pepper
• 4 tsps maple syrup
• 1 tsp ground cloves
• zest from one orange
• 1 tsp ground star anise
• 1 or 2kg whole chicken
• 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
• 50g butter, room temperature
• 0.5 tsp bay leaf, finely chopped
• half an orange cut in two (use the zested one)
• orange juice from 1/4 orange use the zested one
- Preheat the oven to 200°C fan / 220°C / 428°F.
- Mix the butter with the spices, salt, orange zest, orange juice and stir until combined.
- Rub 2/3 of the butter mix (RESERVE 1/3 of the butter!) under the skin of the chicken and a little over the chicken and inside the chicken.
- Place the chicken in a oven proof dish. Rub salt into the cavity and place the 1-2 orange halves + 2 bay leafs inside the chicken.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Whilst the chicken is in the oven, melt the rest of the butter in a saucepan and add the maple syrup. Set aside.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and turn it down to 175°C.
- Brush the melted butter/maple syrup mixture over the chicken and place the chicken in the oven again and bake for an additional 40-50 minutes, or until the juices run clear.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and cover with foil. Leave to rest for 10-15 minutes before serving.
• For an extra juicy chicken, turn it up side down whilst resting. This may flatten the curvature of the chicken but it will still look good!)
• If you want want a gravy you can scrape all the juices from the baking tray and all the juices coming from the bird whilst resting and pour it into a sauce pan. Dissolve a tbsp of cornflour into cold water. Bring the meat juices to a boil and stir the corn flour into the sauce a little at a time whilst stirring until you've reached desired consistency.
This great family recipe is thanks to Nutritionist Meets Chef at https://nutritionistmeetschef.com/christmas-spiced-roast-chicken/