Creamy Lemon Chicken Piccata Meatballs are outrageously good! This sauce is luscious and creamy but not too rich, with the subtle zing of lemon and pops of capers providing a beautiful freshness. Combined with plump juicy chicken meatballs, this gives the classic chicken piccata a serious run for its money! The sauce is so good, you’ll want it on tap!
• Prep time: 10 minutes
• Cook time: 15 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4-5
• 1 pound ground chicken
• 1 egg
• 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
• 2 garlic cloves minced
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
• 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
• Salt and pepper
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 3 tbsps butter
• 1 tbsp all purpose flour
• 1 cup chicken broth
• 1 cup heavy cream
• 1/4 – 1/3 cup lemon juice adjust to taste
• 1/4 cup capers drained
• Salt and pepper
- Place Meatball ingredients in a bowl and mix to combine. If it’s too wet to form balls, add a touch of extra breadcrumbs or refrigerate.
- Scoop up a heaped tablespoon and with slightly wet hands, roll into balls.
- Heat oil in a non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add half the meatballs and cook for 4 minutes, browning all over but still raw inside. Remove onto a plate, repeat with remaining meatballs.
- Wipe skillet clean with paper towel. Reduce heat to medium.
- Melt butter in skillet, then add flour. Mix and cook for 1 minute, then add lemon juice, chicken broth and cream.
- Bring to simmer then add meatballs. Simmer for 5 minutes or until sauce thickens and meatballs are cooked through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir through parsley and capers. I like serving this with pasta with more parmesan cheese!
NOTE: To make this with milk instead of cream, just add an extra 1 tbsp of flour into the butter, plus add 2 tbsp of grated parmesan into the sauce. This will thicken the sauce nicely, it will taste fantastic and is a healthier option!
This great family recipe is thanks to Spend-with-Pennies Recipes at https://www.spendwithpennies.com/creamy-lemon-chicken-piccata-meatballs/