With few ingredients and even fewer steps, this curry is a cinch to make quickly. Most of the work is done by a blender, which ensures a silky sauce. If you don't have a blender, use a food processor; the texture will just be slightly less smooth.
• Prep and cook time: 20 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 2 tbsps butter
• 1 onion, chopped
• 2 tsps curry powder
• 2 tsps tomato paste
• 2 pounds sea scallops
• 1 cup light cream or half and half
• 2 cups shredded spinach (about 3 ounces spinach leaves)
• 1/2 cup canned low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock
- In a large frying pan, melt the butter over moderately low heat. Add the onion and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion starts to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in the curry powder and cook for 1 minute.
- Transfer the onion mixture to a blender and add the tomato paste, broth, and cream. Puree until smooth. Return the sauce to the pan.
- Bring the curry sauce just to a simmer. Stir in the spinach and scallops. Simmer, covered, until the scallops are just done, 5 to 7 minutes.
This great family recipe is thanks to FOOD & WINE at https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/curried-scallops-spinach