• Prep and cook time: 30 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 4 cups apple cider
• 2 tbsps olive oil, divided
• 2 medium shallots, sliced
• 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives
• 2 medium tart apples, divided
• 2 1/2 tsps curry powder, divided
• kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
• 1/2 tsp (or more if needed) apple cider vinegar
• 1 medium fennel bulb, with some stalks and fronds
• 12 large sea scallops, side muscle removed, patted dry
- Set a fine-mesh sieve over a medium bowl. Trim stalks and fronds from fennel; place trimmings in a large heavy saucepan. Set bulb aside. Coarsely chop 1 apple with skin and core; place in saucepan. Add cider and shallots. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium; simmer until liquid is reduced to about 2 1/4 cups when poured through sieve, 20–25 minutes. Discard solids in strainer.
- Preheat oven to 250°. Halve fennel through core; thinly slice crosswise. Peel, core, and cut remaining apple into 1/3" cubes.
- Season scallops with salt and pepper. Place 2 tsp. curry powder on a small plate. Dip flat sides of scallops in curry powder; place on a large plate.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add scallops and cook until browned and just opaque in the center, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a small baking sheet; reserve skillet. Place scallops in oven to keep warm.
- Add remaining 1 Tbsp. oil, sliced fennel, and apple cubes to reserved skillet; sauté until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Add fennel-apple broth and remaining 1/2 tsp. curry powder. Increase heat and boil until mixture thickens slightly and measures 2 cups, about 10 minutes. Stir in 1/2 tsp. vinegar. Season with salt, pepper, and more vinegar, if desired.
- Divide broth mixture among shallow soup bowls. Add scallops; garnish with chives.
This great family recipe is thanks to bon appetit at https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/curry-dusted-scallops-with-fennel-apple-broth