• Prep time: 25 minutes
• Cook time: 5 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 1/2 tsp salt
• oil for frying
• 2 large eggs
• 2 tbsps 2% milk
• 1 tsp garlic powder
• 1 tbsp minced fresh parsley
• 2 tbsps grated pecorino romano cheese
• 1 package refrigerated prosciutto ricotta tortellini
For tomato sauce:
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1/4 tsp pepper
• 1 can tomato puree
• 1 tbsp minced fresh basil
• additional minced fresh basil
• 3 tbsps finely chopped onion
• 4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. In another bowl, stir together the next five ingredients.
- In a cast-iron or other heavy skillet, heat 1/4 in. oil to 375°. Dip tortellini in egg mixture, then in bread crumb mixture to coat. Fry tortellini in batches, adding oil as necessary, until golden brown, 1-1/2 to 2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, cooking until softened. Stir in tomato puree, basil, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. Sprinkle with minced fresh basil.
- Serve tortellini with tomato sauce for dipping.
This great family recipe is thanks to Taste-of-Home Recipes at https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/fried-prosciutto-tortellini/