This hearty dish is an unforgettable combination of pasta, sausage and vegetable.
• Prep and cook time: 30 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 2 tbsps extra-virgin olive oil
• 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
• 3/4 pound gemelli or penne
• 1/2 pint red grape tomatoes
• 2 cups coarsely chopped baby spinach
• 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
• 1 pound sweet Italian sausages, casings removed
• 1 large onion, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the gemelli until just al dente. Drain the gemelli, reserving 1 cup of the cooking water.
- Meanwhile, in a large, deep skillet, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the onion and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the sausage and crushed red pepper and cook, breaking up the meat with the back of a spoon, until no trace of pink remains, about 5 minutes. Add the spinach and tomatoes and cook just until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the gemelli and the reserved cooking water to the skillet and cook over moderate heat, lightly crushing the tomatoes, until heated through, about 2 minutes; season with salt. Transfer the pasta to bowls, sprinkle with the Parmesan and serve.
This great family recipe is thanks to FOOD & WINE at https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/gemelli-sweet-sausage-and-spinach