We call this one an end-of-summer salad, but as long as you can get the ingredients, you can make it in any season! Citrus flavors define the salad: A homemade Citrus Vinaigrette and orange slices as toppings give this dish its summery flair, but fresh bay scallops skewered and grilled steal the show.
• Prep time: 5 minutes
• Cook time: 25 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• Sea salt flakes
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1/2 tsp kosher salt
• 1/4 tsp black pepper
• 1 pound fresh bay scallops
• 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
• 8 1/2 cup Citrus Vinaigrette, divided
• 1/3 cup mixed thinly sliced radishes
• 1 orange or tangerine, peeled and sectioned
• 5 ounces red-leaf, lollo rosso, or butter lettuce
• 8 (6-inch) wooden skewers, soaked in water 30 minutes or more
- Preheat grill to medium-high (about 450°F). Soak sliced onion in ice water to cover for 10 minutes; drain well.
- Place scallops, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a large bowl, and toss until scallops are evenly coated.
- Thread scallops onto the skewers (5 or 6 scallops per skewer). Grill the scallops until grill marks appear, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes on each side. (Overcooking the scallops will make them tough and rubbery.) Transfer skewers to a platter, and drizzle with 1/4 cup of the Citrus Vinaigrette.
- Toss together the lettuce, radishes, red onion, and remaining 1/4 cup Citrus Vinaigrette in a large bowl. Divide the salad among four plates, and top each salad with two skewers of the grilled scallops. Sprinkle with sea salt flakes, and serve with orange segments.
This great family recipe is thanks to My-Recipes Recipes at https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/grilled-scallop-salad-citrus-vinaigrette