• Prep and cook time: 30 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
For the miso vinaigrette:
• 1 tbsp soy sauce
• 3 tbsps canola oil
• 2 tbsps white miso
• 1 tsp light brown sugar
• 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
• 1/2 tsp grated peeled fresh ginger
• 1 tbsp unseasoned rice wine vinegar
• 1 tsp lime zest plus 2 tbsps fresh lime juice
• 1 small jalapeño or serrano chile, seeded and finely chopped (Optional)
For the salad:
• 1/4 tsp kosher salt
• 4 medium scallions
• 2 tsps toasted sesame seeds, divided
• 1 cup halved cherry or grape tomatoes
• 3 medium ears fresh yellow corn, shucked
• 12 dry-packed U12 sea scallops (about 1 pound)
• 1 cup cooked and shelled fresh or frozen edamme
• 2 tbsps fresh small basil leaves or mint leaves, or a combination of both, torn, plus more for serving
Make the miso vinaigrette: Whisk together miso, soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, lime zest and juice, brown sugar, ginger, and jalapeño, if using, in a small bowl until miso is dissolved. Whisk in canola oil in a slow, steady stream until well combined. Set aside, or cover and refrigerate up to 1 week.
Make the salad: Preheat a grill to high (450°F to 500°F), or heat a grill pan over high. Brush corn and scallions with 1 tablespoon canola oil, and place on grates (or grill pan). Grill, uncovered, turning occasionally, until just tender and slightly charred, about 4 minutes for scallions and 10 minutes for corn. Remove from heat. When cool enough to handle, cut corn kernels off cobs, and roughly chop scallions into 1/2-inch pieces; set corn and scallions aside.
- Remove and discard the small side muscle from each scallop; rinse under cold running water, and pat dry. Thread 3 scallops on 2 parallel skewers, and repeat with remaining 9 scallops on 6 skewers. Brush scallops with remaining 1 tablespoon canola oil, and season both sides with salt. Grill scallops, uncovered, until grill marks appear, about 1 minute and 30 seconds. Turn scallops, and grill until desired degree of doneness, about 30 seconds for medium (warm translucent center). Remove from grill, and set aside.
- Toss together corn, scallions, edamame, and tomatoes in a large bowl. Add herbs, miso vinaigrette, and 1 teaspoon sesame seeds; toss to combine. Divide salad among 4 shallow bowls. Top each with a skewer of scallops. Sprinkle with remaining 1 teaspoon sesame seeds and additional herbs.
This great family recipe is thanks to Food&Wine Recipes at https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/grilled-scallops-miso-corn-salad