Fill hot dog buns or brioche with a luxurious lobster and lemon mayonnaise filling for this New England street-food staple.
• Prep time: 30 minutes
• Cook time: 5 minutes
• Yield: Serves 6
• gherkins, to serve
• 1 tbsp lemon juice
• 5 tbsps mayonnise
• 1 tbsp melted butter
• 500g cooked lobster
• snipped chives (Optional)
• 6 good-quality hot dog buns
• 2 celery sticks, stringed and diced
• good-quality potato crisps, to serve
• small pinch of cayenne, plus extra to serve
- Crack the lobster, remove all the meat, cut it into large chunks and set aside. (Lobster shells can be kept to make a delicious soup.)
- Mix the mayonnaise with the lemon juice, celery, cayenne and a small pinch of salt, then fold the lobster through to combine. Taste and adjust the seasoning. If eating straight away, leave at room temperature – or chill for up to 1 day in advance.
- To serve, split the rolls and lightly butter on all sides, including the outside. Heat a griddle pan and griddle the rolls in batches on all sides. Divide the lobster mix between the rolls, scatter with chives (if using) and serve on a platter with napkins, a bowl of crisps and some gherkins.
This great family recipe is thanks to BBC goodfood Recipes at https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/lobster-rolls