Need a vacation? This dish will take you there. Crunchy and sweet, the tropical flavors will be sure to please everyone in the family. Serve this Macadamia Crusted Barramundi with Pineapple Slaw over coconut rice or solo. It’s a quick and satisfying meal that’s a breeze to make on a week night.
• Prep time: 20 minutes
• Cook time: 16 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 1 egg
• 1 lime
• 2 tsps olive oil
• 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• 3-4 pieces barramundi fillets
• 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
• 2 tbsps unsweetened coconut milk
• 1 cup macadamia nuts, finely chopped
For the Slaw:
• 1 tbsp soy sauce
• 1 tbsp sesame oil
• 3 tbsps rice vinegar
• 2 cups coleslaw mix
• 1/4 cup green onion, diced
• 1 handful chopped cilantro, stems removed
• 1 cup canned or fresh pineapple, drained and diced
- Combine slaw mix, pineapple and green onion, cilantro, rice vinegar, sesame oil, soy sauce in a large bowl and set aside. Let flavors combine for about 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Thaw the fish and rinse under cold water. Use paper towel to pat each fillet very dry.
- In a food processor, chop macadamia nuts until the consistency of bread crumbs. Mix together nuts, panko and cayenne pepper. In a separate small bowl whisk egg with coconut milk. Salt and pepper both sides of the barramundi fillets.
- Fill the bottom of a cast iron skillet with the olive oil and place on stovetop over med-high heat. Once the oil is heated up, dip fish in egg mixture then coat both sides with panko nut mixture. Place fish in hot skillet and cook 3 minutes on each side.
- Squeeze lime over the fillets and place cast iron skillet in the oven and bake for another 10 minutes or until firm.
- Once fish fillets are finished baking, plate the meal by adding a cup or two of the pineapple slaw salad to a plate and top with the macadamia crusted fish. Enjoy!
This great family recipe is thanks to The-Better-Fish Recipes at https://www.thebetterfish.com/recipe/macadamia-crusted-barramundi-with-pineapple-slaw-salad/