Fresh seafood tossed in a zesty garlic and lemon dressing is a classic Calabrian recipe.
• Prep time: 20 minutes
• Cook time: 10 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 1 lemon
• Crusty bread, to serve
• 125ml (1/2 cup) olive oil
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• 1 tsp dried oregano leaves
• 300g cleaned baby octopus
• 600g peeled cooked prawns
• 1 long fresh red chilli, thinly sliced
• 2 tsps drained baby capers in vinegar
• 1 small squid tube, cut into 5mm rings
• 12 green mussels, scrubbed, debearded
• 1/3 cup chopped fresh continental parsley
• Chopped fresh continental parsley, extra, to serve
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic, capers, chilli and oregano. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes or until aromatic. Remove from heat. Use a zester, or a vegetable peeler and a sharp knife, to peel and cut lemon rind into thin strips. Use a squeezer to juice the lemon. Stir the parsley, lemon rind and 60ml (1/4 cup) lemon juice into the oil mixture.
- Use a small sharp knife to cut baby octopus heads from the tentacles, just below the eyes. Cut eyes from heads and discard. Cut heads into 5mm rings. Cut the tentacles into quarters.
- Place octopus, squid and mussels in a steamer basket lined with non-stick baking paper. Place over a saucepan of boiling water. Cover and cook for 2-4 minutes or until squid and octopus are just cooked and mussels open. Discard unopened mussels. Remove one half of the shell from each mussel and discard.
- Combine the octopus, squid, mussels, prawns and lemon mixture in a bowl. Transfer to a serving platter. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with crusty bread.
This great family recipe is thanks to Taste Recipes at https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/mixed-seafood-salad/4952efb6-a0ec-4e7d-baed-95fc2dd19a52