Serve up something a little different tonight with this Italian-inspired, totally gluten-free stew.
• Prep time: 15 minutes
• Cook time: 1 hour
• Yield: Serves 4
• 3 garlic cloves, crushed
• small basil leaves, to serve
• 1 cup (35g) baby spinach leaves
• 3 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
• 2 tbsps olive oil, pls extra to drizzle
• 2 x 400g cans cannellini beans, rinsed, drained
• 1kg whole octopus, tentacles attached, cleaned
• 150g jap pumpkin, shaved into 1mm-thick slices using a mandoline
• 1 long red chilli, finely chopped, plus extra finely chopped chilli to serve
- Heat half the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add octopus, chilli and garlic, and cook, turning, for 2 minutes or until octopus is red. Add 1/4 cup (60ml) water, cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes or until octopus is tender.
- Remove octopus from pan, reserving cooking liquid, and set aside. When cool enough to handle, rub off skin using paper towel. Separate legs into groups and thickly slice the head. Set aside.
- Add tomato, beans and 1 cup (250ml) water to reserved liquid and place over high heat. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until reduced slightly.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 tbs oil in a frypan over high heat. Add octopus and cook for 3 minutes each side or until char marks appear. Keep warm.
- Add spinach and pumpkin to tomato mixture and stir until just tender. Divide among serving bowls and top with octopus. Drizzle with extra oil, season and scatter with basil and extra chilli to serve.
This great family recipe is thanks to delicious Recipes at https://www.delicious.com.au/recipes/octopus-bean-stew/uwNPBm2Y