• Prep time: 5 minutes
• Cook time: 30 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• garnish: lemon wedges
• 1 celery rib (thinly sliced)
• 4 tbsps extra-virgin olive oil
• 3 tsps fine sea salt (divided)
• 1 lemon (juiced, about 2 tbsps)
• 1 garlic clove - minced (Optional)
• freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
• 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes (cleaned)
• 1/4 tsp red chilli pepper flakes (Optional)
• 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint leaves (Optional)
• garnish: 4 tbsps finely chopped flat-leaf parsley (plus whole leaves)
• 1 pound octopus (cleaned, fresh or frozen, frozen is preferable as it will be more tender when cooked)
- Gather the ingredients.
- Place the octopus in a large pot and cover with cold water. Add 2 teaspoons of fine sea salt and bring just to a simmer over medium heat. Let barely simmer over gentle heat just 3 to 5 minutes; the octopus will be moist and have a slight chew. Remove from heat and set aside to let cool.
- Meanwhile, put the potatoes in a large saucepan, cover with cold water, add 1 teaspoon of fine sea salt, and bring to a boil over high heat. Boil until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain and let cool slightly.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- In a medium bowl, toss the still-warm potato slices with the olive oil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Add the parsley and celery and stir to combine.
- Cut the octopus into 1-inch chunks and add to the potato mixture. Stir to combine. If using, add the optional garlic, mint, and chili pepper flakes and combine.
- Serve at room temperature, each serving accompanied by a lemon wedge and crusty bread.
This great family recipe is thanks to The Spruce Eats Recipes at https://www.thespruceeats.com/octopus-and-potato-salad-2017688