This casserole recipe with beef meatballs makes the best comfort food meal. With thick tomato sauce, and lots of cheese, this easy recipe is a must-make!
• Prep time: 40 minutes
• Cook time: 10 minutes
• Yield: Serves 8
• 1 lb. ground pork
• 1 lb. ground beef
• 2 large eggs
• 1 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1 pinch red-pepper flakes
• 2 tbsps extra-virgin olive oil
• 4 fresh basil leaves, (optional)
• 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
• 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
• 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
• 1 cup breadcrumbs or Japanese panko
• 8 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
• 28 oz canned whole peeled tomatoes, pureed
- Using your hands, gently mix together the pork, beef, breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, salt, eggs, garlic, and parsley in a large bowl. Form mixture into 2-inch balls.
- Heat the oil in a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs; cook, turning, until browned all over, about 10 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add onion and pepper flakes; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender. Add the tomatoes and basil; simmer, stirring frequently, until the sauce is slightly thickened. Return the meatballs and its juices to pan. Simmer, turning meatballs until cooked through.
- Heat the broiler and arrange the mozzarella cheese on top of the meatballs. Broil until melted, about 2 minutes. Serve immediately.
This great family recipe is thanks to RASA MALAYSIA Recipes at https://rasamalaysia.com/meatball-casserole/