This seasonal adaptation of fried rice, a Chinese takeout classic, uses a sauce made from orange marmalade and soy glaze to give a sweet and savory boost to flaky barramundi.
• Prep time: 10 minutes
• Cook time: 30 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 2 cloves garlic
• 1 tbsp soy sauce
• 1/2 lb snow peas
• 2 tbsps soy glaze
• 1 tbsp sesame oil
• 1 cup jasmine rice
• pasture-raised egg
• 15 oz baby bok choi
• 1-1 inch piece ginger
• 2 tbsps orange marmalade
• 4 skin-on barramundi fillets
- Cook the rice: In a medium pot, combine the rice, a big pinch of salt, and 2 cups of water. Heat to boiling on high. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook, without stirring, 12 to 14 minutes, or until the water has been absorbed and the rice is tender. Turn off the heat and fluff with a fork.
- Prepare the ingredients & start the sauce: While the rice cooks, wash and dry the fresh produce. Peel and roughly chop the garlic. Peel and finely chop the ginger. Cut off and discard the root end of the bok choy; thinly slice. Crack the egg into a bowl; season with salt and pepper and beat until smooth. In a bowl, combine the orange marmalade, soy glaze, and 2 tablespoons of water.
- Cook the vegetables & eggs: In a large pan (nonstick, if you have one), heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium-high until hot. Add the peas and chopped garlic and ginger; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, 2 to 3 minutes, or until slightly softened. Add the sliced bok choy; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 1 to 2 minutes, or until softened. Using a spoon, move the vegetables to one side of the pan. Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil to the other side, then add the beaten egg. Cook, constantly stirring the egg, 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until cooked through. Stir the vegetables and egg to combine. Transfer to a large bowl and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm. Rinse and wipe out the pan.
- Make the fried rice: In the same pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium-high until hot. Add the cooked rice in an even layer. Cook, without stirring, 3 to 4 minutes, or until slightly crispy. Turn off the heat; stir in the sesame oil and soy sauce. Transfer to the bowl of cooked vegetables and egg; stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover with aluminum foil to keep warm. Wipe out the pan.
- Cook the fish: Pat the fish dry with paper towels; season with salt and pepper on both sides. In the same pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium-high until hot. Add the seasoned fish, skin side down. Cook 4 to 5 minutes, or until lightly browned. Flip and cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until cooked through. Leaving any browned bits (or fond) in the pan, transfer to a plate.
- Finish the sauce & serve your dish: Add the sauce (carefully, as the liquid may splatter) to the pan of reserved fond. Cook on medium-high, stirring constantly and scraping up any fond, 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until slightly thickened. Turn off the heat. Serve the fried rice topped with the cooked fish and finished sauce. Enjoy!
This great family recipe is thanks to Blue-Apron Recipes at https://www.blueapron.com/recipes/orange-soy-barramundi-fried-rice-with-snow-peas-bok-choy