Vanilla pairs beautifully with the creamy mellow flavour of cauliflower and the sweetness of caramelised scallops
• Prep time: 15 minutes
• Cook time: 25 minutes
• Yield: Serves 2
• 150ml milk
• 2 tbsps olive oil
• 4 slices pancetta
• drizzle maple syrup
• 2 knobs of unsalted butter
• a few chives, snipped, to serve
• ½ vanilla pod, seeds scraped out
• 140g cauliflower, cut into small florets
• 6 scallops, with or without roe, it's up to you
• 50g fresh porcini or chestnut mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- Put the cauliflower, milk, vanilla pod and its seeds into a small saucepan with a pinch of salt. Cover and simmer for 10 mins until the cauliflower is tender. Drain the cauliflower, reserving the milk and discarding the vanilla pod. Whizz the cauliflower until smooth in a food processor, adding a knob of butter, seasoning and enough reserved milk to make a nice, smooth consistency. This can be made up to a day ahead, then reheated in a pan or microwave.
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Cover a baking tray with a sheet of baking paper, lay the pancetta on top and cook for 8-10 mins until crisp. Drain on kitchen paper, drizzle with maple syrup and set aside until serving. 3 Fry the porcini in half the olive oil in a hot pan for about 4 mins until starting to brown. Keep warm.
- Heat the remaining oil and butter in a frying pan and season the scallops. Fry the scallops for 1-1½ mins on each side over a high heat until caramelised. To assemble, spoon the purée onto plates, top with porcini, scallops and pancetta, then sprinkle with chives.
This great family recipe is thanks to BBC Goodfood Recipes at https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/166610/panfried-scallops-with-cauliflower-vanilla-pure