Cook scallops in the professional way then plate up restaurant-style with breadcrumbs and a smear of vegetable purée
• Prep time: 10 minutes
• Cook time: 30 minutes
• Yield: Serves 3
• juice 1/2 lemon
• 1 tbsp vegetable oil
• 9 large scallops, coral removed
For the pancetta crumbs:
• 50g fresh breadcrumb
• 1 tbsp thyme leaf, chopped
• 50g pancetta, cut into 5cm slices
For the parsnip purée:
• 200ml full-fat milk
• small knob of butter
• 200g parsnip, cut into chunks
- To make the pancetta crumbs (which you can do up to a day ahead), set a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the pancetta and sizzle for 5 mins, turning, until coloured. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs into the pan and continue frying and stirring until browned and crisp. Blitz the mixture in a food processor to fine crumbs. Mix in the thyme and store in an airtight container if making ahead.
- To make the parsnip purée, tip the parsnips into a small saucepan with the milk and some seasoning. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 mins until the parsnips are tender. Purée the mixture in the food processor, then add the butter. Rub through a fine sieve into a clean saucepan, ready to reheat.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a high heat. Season the scallops and lay them in a circle around the edge of the pan (see step 1). When the last scallop has been added, leave for 1 min until browned. Then, starting with the first scallop, gently turn (step 2). When all the scallops are cooked, transfer to a warm plate and quickly add the lemon juice to your hot pan, scraping the bottom to form a sauce and adding a splash of water if needed.
- Reheat the parsnip purée, then swipe onto 3 plates (step 3). Top with the scallops, pancetta crumbs and juices from the pan. Serve straight away.
This great family recipe is thanks to BBC Goodfood Recipes at https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/pan-fried-scallops-parsnip-puree-pancetta-crumbs