• Prep and cook time: 30 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 1/2 cup water
• 1 tbsp cider vinegar
• 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
• 4 sweet Italian sausages
• 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
• salt and freshly ground pepper
• 2 apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the sausages and cook over moderate heat, turning occasionally, until browned but not cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add the water to the skillet. Cover and cook until the water is nearly evaporated and the sausages are firm, about 7 minutes. Add the apples and fennel seeds and cook, stirring occasionally, until the apples are tender and browned, 8 minutes. Stir in the vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Serve in bowls atop the cheesy Grits.
This great family recipe is thanks to Food&Wine Recipes at https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/pan-seared-sausages-apples