You can make this easy copycat recipe at home in less than 30 mins. Healthier & MUCH better than takeout.
• Prep time: 20 minutes
• Cook time: 10 minutes
• Yield: Serves 2
• oil for deep-frying
• salt and sugar to taste
• 2 tsps cooking oil 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 8 oz. (approx. 226g) boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
• 3 slices Applewood-smoked bacon, pan-fried / baked till crisp, cut into pieces
For Frying Batter:
• 1 egg
• 1 pinch salt
• 2 tbsps corn starch
• 1/2 tbsp cooking oil
• 1/2 tsp baking powder
• 1/4 cup water, ice cold
• 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
For Orange Sauce:
• 5 tsp sugar
• 3 tbsps water
• 1 tsp corn starch
• 2 tbsps soy sauce
• 1/4 cup orange juice
• 1 tsp chili garlic sauce, Huy Fong Rooster brand (Optional)
• 1 tsp apple cider vinegar, red wine vinegar or Chinese white vinegar
- In a bowl, mix in all the Orange Sauce ingredients. Set aside.
- Make the Frying Batter. In a large bowl, whisk eggs and mix in the rest of the Frying Batter ingredients until batter is smooth. Drop in the chicken cubes and mix well. Heat up a pan or wok with deep-frying oil. Gently drop in the battered chicken cubes, one by one, making sure it is spread out to prevent sticking and overcrowding the wok. Deep-fry until color changes to golden brown and completely cooked. Dish out and drain on paper towels.
- Heat up the pan/wok or over medium-high heat with 2 teaspoons of cooking oil. Stir-fry the garlic until fragrant.
- Gently pour in the Orance Sauce mixture, stir until the sauce thicken. You may adjust additional seasoning as per taste, ie. water (if sauce is too thick, cornstarch solution, to thicken the sauce), add salt, sugar, chili sauce, to taste. Toss in the deep-fried chicken and bacon, stir well, dish out and ready to serve with warm steamed white rice.
This great family recipe is thanks to RASA MALAYSIA at https://rasamalaysia.com/copycat-panda-express-orange-chicken-with-bacon/