Octopus tentacles may look a little different on the plate, but when paired with good produce this recipe will become a staple at any dinner party.
• Prep time: 20 minutes
• Cook time: 5 hours
• Yield: Serves 6
• 3 fresh bay leaves
• 1 cup (250ml) verjuice
• 3 cups (750ml) olive oil
• 10 garlic cloves, peeled
• 1 tsp white peppercorns
• 1/2 cup (125ml) lemon juice
• 2kg large octopus tentacles
• 1 tsp dried Greek oregano (rigani)
• Thinly sliced cucumber, torn black olives and flat-leaf parsley leaves, to serve
- Preheat oven to 90°C. To confit octopus, place octopus, peppercorns, oil, 5 garlic cloves and 1 bay leaf in a baking dish. Cover tightly with foil and place in oven for 5 hours or until tender. Remove from oven and cool completely in the oil.
- Place confit octopus and 1 cup (250ml) confit oil in a 2L (8 cup) sterilised jar. Add verjuice, lemon juice, oregano, remaining 5 garlic cloves, 2 bay leaves and 200ml water, and seal with a lid. Set aside in a cool, dark place, turning jar every 2 hours, for 6 hours to pickle. Chill until needed.
- Remove pickled octopus from jar and cut into large pieces, then serve with cucumber, olive, and parsley leaves.
This great family recipe is thanks to delicious Recipes at https://www.delicious.com.au/recipes/pickled-octopus-cucumber-black-olives/b3b58c14-ac38-4eed-a993-674937679fcd