German pork schnitzel is an easy recipe and it’s perfect for busy weeknights. The pork chops are pounded into thin, tender cutlets which are breaded and sautéed, resulting in a crispy crust and juicy center.
You must, must, must serve these with lemon wedges. A squeeze of lemon juice adds a freshness and tang that is lip-smacking good!
• Prep time: 5 minutes
• Cook time: 25 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 3 large eggs
• 1/2 tsp paprika
• lemon wedges to serve
• 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
• 2 lbs. boneless pork chops
• 2 cups panko bread crumbs
• 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
• olive oil, canola oil or any high heat cooking oil to saute
• 1 tbsp garlic salt (or sub with equal parts salt and garlic powder)
- Trim pork chops of fat and slice into 1/2″-thick cutlets (I used 3 large Costco-sized pork chops and after slicing ended up with 9 pieces). Line a cutting board with plastic wrap, place cutlets in a single layer on cutting board and cover with plastic wrap (this prevents splatter). Pound cutlets with a meat mallet or the back of a heavy saucepan, until 1/4″ to 1/8″ thick.
- Set up three bowls. In the first combine 1/3 cup flour, 1 Tbsp garlic salt, 1/2 tsp paprika and 1/2 tsp pepper. In the second, use a fork to beat 3 eggs. In the third bowl, add 2 cups panko crumbs.
- Dredge both sides of each pounded cutlet in flour then dip in beaten egg letting excess egg drip back into the bowl before breading in panko crumbs. It helps to use a fork for the dipping process to keep your hands clean. Repeat with remaining cutlets.
- Once all cutlets are breaded, heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat and add enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Once oil is hot, add breaded cutlets a few at a time and sauté 3-4 minutes per side or until cooked through. Reduce heat if cutlets are browning too quickly. Remove to a paper towel lined plate. Cut into one to double check doneness – juices should run clear. Serve right away with lemon wedges, or ranch for the children.
This great family recipe is thanks to Natasha's Kitchen Recipes at https://natashaskitchen.com/pork-schnitzel-recipe/