This is a terrific, classic Rack of Lamb recipe that makes the most of this premium cut of meat. An assertive rosemary garlic marinade injects flavour into the meat before roasting in the oven, then finishing by basting with garlic butter. To serve, a dazzling green Salsa Verde sauce is the perfect fresh and tangy accompaniment to cut through the richness of the lamb!
Lamb rack is a premium cut of meat and a darling of fine dining restaurants, for good reason. The meat in a rack of lamb is amongst the most tender and juicy on the animal, while still retaining plenty of flavour.
• Prep time: 10 minutes
• Cook time: 25 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 2 x 800g / 1.3 lb racks of lamb
• 1/4 tsp black pepper
• 4 garlic cloves, minced
• 4 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
• 1/2 tsp salt, cooking / kosher salt
• 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
• 2 tbsps olive oil, for searing (1 tbsp each rack)
For basting finish:
• 1 sprig rosemary
• 2 garlic cloves, smashed
• 30g / 2 tbsps butter, cut into 1cm
• 1 quantity Salsa Verde
- Marinate lamb - Mix marinade ingredients in a ziplock bag. Place lamb in bag, massage to coat, then seal and marinate for at least 24 hours and up to 48 hours.
- Remove lamb from fridge 1 hour prior to cooking, to ensure even cooking.
- Foil-wrap bones - Wrap bones in foil (optional): Wrap each bone with a small piece of foil. This keeps the bones white and looks prettier.
- Preheat oven - Preheat oven to 200°C/390°F (180°C fan).
- Sear - Heat 1 tbsp oil in a cast iron skillet (or other oven-proof, heavy-based skillet) over high heat. Sear one lamb rack on all sides until golden brown, including the ends. Remove and repeat with other lamb rack.
- Roast in oven - Place both racks in the skillet and roast for 15 minutes, or until the internal temperature is 57°C/135°F (for medium-rare). Remove pan from oven.
- Herb and garlic butter Baste - Add butter, smashed garlic and rosemary to pan. The residual heat of the pan will melt the butter. Spoon the butter over the lamb continuously for 30 seconds.
- Rest the meat - Remove lamb from skillet and place on a rack set over a tray. Pour butter remaining in the skillet over lamb. Cover loosely with foil and rest for 5 minutes.
- Carve and serve - Cut lamb into individual cutlets or several cutlets per slice. Serve with Salsa Verde.
- Sides - Pictured in post with a spring salad and individual mini potato gratin stacks.
This great family recipe is thanks to Recipe Tin Eats at https://www.recipetineats.com/rosemary-garlic-rack-of-lamb-recipe/