• Prep time: 5 minutes
• Cook time: 25 minutes
• Yield: Serves 6
• Kosher salt
• 2 garlic, thinly sliced
• 1 red onion, thinly sliced
• 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
• 1 tsp dried oregano, crumbled
• 3 long hero rolls, split lengthwise
• 1 pound red bell peppers, thinly sliced
• 2 tbsps extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
• 6 sausages, each preferably with roasted pepper or parsley and cheese (about 5 ounces)
- Heat a large cast-iron or nonstick griddle (you can also use 2 cast-iron or nonstick skillets). Add the oil, bell peppers, onion, garlic, oregano and crushed red pepper and season with salt. Cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the peppers are softened and just beginning to brown, 6 minutes. Push the vegetables to the back of the griddle, cover with an inverted heatproof bowl and keep warm over low heat; stir occasionally as you cook the sausages.
- Prick the sausages with a knife and cook over moderate heat, turning occasionally, until no trace of pink remains, 10 minutes. Add the sausages to the vegetables and keep warm. Brush the rolls with oil and toast on the griddle. Fill the rolls with the sausages and peppers, cut each one in half and serve.
This great family recipe is thanks to myrecipes Recipes at https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/sausage-and-pepper-heros