A step-by-step recipe for kids from CBeebies series 'i can cook'- the roll contains peppers and chilli and teaches pastry skills
• Prep time: 30 minutes
• Cook time: 40 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• a little oil, for greasing
• 400g pack pork and apple sausage - about 6 fat sausages
• 1 roasted red pepper from a jar, patted dry with kitchen paper
• 1 large egg
• 2 tbsp tomato purée
• flour, for dusting
• 250g ready-made puff pastry
• ½ tsp chilli flakes (optional)
• baked beans or salad, to serve
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/ gas 6. Grease a baking tray with oil using a pastry brush, then cover it with baking parchment. Put to one side. Remove the meat from the sausage skins by snipping off the ends, then squeezing the sausagemeat into a bowl (see step 1).
- Cut the pepper into small pieces with scissors. Break the egg into the cup, beat with a fork, and save 2 tbsp for glazing. Add the red pepper and remaining egg to the sausagemeat with the chilli flakes, if using, and purée. Mix well with a fork or clean hands (step 2).
- Sprinkle some flour on the work surface. Using a rolling pin, roll out the pastry into a rough square shape, about 30 x 30cm. Put the pastry on the lined baking tray (step 3).
- Now spoon the filling down the middle of the pastry in a sausage shape – leave a little gap at the top and bottom (about 3cm) (step 4).
- Cut the pastry at a slight diagonal, on either side of the filling, into 1.5cm strips, the same number each side – we cut 12 strips each side. Brush the pastry all over with most of the saved egg (step 5).
- Tuck the top and bottom edges of the pastry over the filling. Starting at the top, lay the pastry strips over the filling, taking one from each side, to cross like a plait. Now brush the top all over with the last of the egg. Bake for 35-40 mins or until golden. Serve hot or cold with baked beans or salad (step 6).
This great family recipe is thanks to BBC Goodfood Recipes at https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2667648/sausage-plait