Coming from the Catalonia region of Spain, Romesco is a versatile sauce made from nuts and red peppers. It works great on roast chicken, grilled vegetables, or this Spanish-inspired pasta adorned with shaved Manchego cheese and slivered almonds.
• Prep time: 10 minutes
• Cook time: 35 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 1 small (5 oz.) tomato, chopped (1 1/4 cups)
• 2 large roasted red bell peppers (from 1[12-oz.]jar), rinsed
• 1/4 cup toasted hazelnuts
• 2 tbsps chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
• 2 tbsps sherry vinegar
• 1 1/2 tsps kosher salt
• 1 tsp smoked paprika
• 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
• 1/2 tsp black pepper
• 2 garlic cloves
• 3/4 cup toasted slivered almonds, divided
• 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• 12 ounces uncooked tagliatelle pasta
• 2 tbsps salted butter
• 1 tbsp finely chopped shallot (from 1 shallot)
• 1 1/2 pounds bay scallops, drained, rinsed, and patted dry
• 1 ounce Manchego cheese, shaved (about 1/2 cup)
• 1 tbsp thinly sliced chives
- Place tomato, bell peppers, hazelnuts, parsley, vinegar, salt, paprika, cayenne, black pepper, garlic, and ½ cup of the almonds in a blender; pulse until finely chopped, 6 to 8 times. With processor running, slowly pour oil through opening in lid. Process until smooth, and set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Combine pasta with tomato mixture in a large skillet; cook over medium-high, stirring often, until heated through, about 3 minutes. Cover; remove from heat.
- Melt butter in a separate large skillet over medium-high. Add shallot; cook, stirring often, until translucent, 1 to 2 minutes. Add scallops; cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly firm, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Divide pasta mixture among 4 bowls. Arrange scallops over pasta; top with cheese, chives, and remaining ¼ cup almonds. Serve immediately.
This great family recipe is thanks to Coastal Living Recipes at https://www.coastalliving.com/recipe/scallop-pasta-catalan-romesco-sauce