It's easy to create an impressive meal with this seafood paella. Remember to serve each portion with a little of the crunchy golden crust that forms under the rice.
• Prep Time: 35 minutes
• Cook Time: 35 minutes
• Yield: Serves 8
• 60ml (1/4 cup) water
• 60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
• 2 tsps smoked paprika
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• 3 x 375ml ctns fish stock
• 440g (2 cups) arborio rice
• 60ml (1/4 cup) boiling water
• 150g (1 cup) frozen peas, thawed
• 2 large pinches of saffron threads
• 1 large brown onions, finely chopped
• 3 large ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped
• 8 (about 500g) baby octopus, cleaned, halved
• 500g thick fim white fish fillets, cut into 4cm pieces
• 16 (about 400g) small black mussels, scrubbed, debearded
- Place the boiling water in a small heatproof bowl. Add the saffron and set aside for 10 minutes to infuse.
- Place the saffron mixture, stock and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and hold at a gentle simmer.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Add the fish and cook for 1-2 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to a plate and season with salt and pepper. Repeat with the octopus, reheating the pan between batches.
- Heat the remaining oil in a 28cm (base measurement) paella pan or large frying pan over low heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Add the rice, tomato and paprika. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
This great family recipe is thanks to Taste Recipes at https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/seafood-paella-4/8f4fa402-136b-41e4-8b9f-5ce109a25bab