The ultimate one-pot family meal! Meltingly tender slow cooker beef and vegetables smothered in a gravy-like sauce (because I prefer that to just watery broth). I like to make this in my slow cooker but I've also added directions for pressure cooker, stove and oven.
• Prep Time: 15 minutes
• Cook Time: 8 hours & 20 minutes
• Yield: Serves 8
• 2 tbsps olive oil
• 1 tsp dried rosemary
• 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
• 1 tsp each salt and pepper
• 2 kg / 4 lb beef chuck roast
• 1 large onion, cut into large dice
• 1/3 cup (50g) flour (plain / purposed)
• 5 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
• 3 cups (750ml) beef broth, salt reduced
• 3 celery stalks, cut into 4cm / 15" pieces
• 1 cup (250ml) dry red wine (sub with veef broth)
• 5 carrots, peeled and cut into 2.5cm / 1" pieces
• 750g / 15 lb potatoes, peeled and cut into 2.5cm / 1" pieces
- Pat beef dry with paper towels. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper all over.
- Heat oil in a skillet over high heat. Brown aggressively all over - a deep dark brown crust is essential for flavour base! Should take about 7 minutes.
- Transfer beef to slow cooker.
- In the same skillet, add onion and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes until onion is browned.
- Add wine, reduce by half. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Mix together flour and about 1 cup of the broth. Lumps is fine. Pour into slow cooker.
- Add remaining broth, carrots, celery, rosemary and thyme into slow cooker.
- Cover and slow cook on LOW for 5 hours. (45 min pressure cook on HIGH, Note 3a for Oven and Stove)
- Add potato, slow cook on LOW for 3 hours. (10 min pressure cooker on HIGH.
- Remove beef. Rest for 5 minutes, then slice thickly.
- Adjust salt and pepper of Sauce to taste.
- Serve beef with vegetables and plenty of sauce! Crust bread also terrific for mopping up sauce.
This great family recipe is thanks to Recipe Tin Eats Recipes at https://www.recipetineats.com/slow-cooker-beef-pot-roast/