This soup is such a family treasure, I cook the tortellini separately, but you can let it plump up in the soup broth too!
• Prep and cook time: 30 minutes
• Yield: Serves 8
• 1 tsp Italian seasoning
• 3 cups fresh spinach, thinly sliced
• 1 pound bulk hot or mild Italian sausage
• 2 cartons (32 ounces each) chicken broth
• 1 can fire-roasted or Italian diced tomatoes
• 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, bring broth to a boil. Carefully drop sausage by heaping teaspoonfuls into boiling broth. Add tortellini, tomatoes and Italian seasoning; return to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 8-10 minutes or until sausage is cooked through and pasta is tender. Stir in spinach until wilted.
Freeze Option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary.
This great family recipe is thanks to Taste-of-Home Recipes at https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/spicy-sausage-soup-with-tortellini/