This Spring Chicken Fricassee is just perfect for any weeknight meal.
• Prep time: 20 minutes
• Cook time: 40 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4-6
• 1 bay leaf
• 2 egg yolks
• 3 tbsps olive oil
• ½ cup fresh peas
• ½ cup white wine
• ¼ cup heavy cream
• 3 fresh thyme sprigs
• 2 ½ cups chicken stock
• 3 tbsps all purpose flour
• 1 celery stalk, small dice
• 1 medium carrot, small dice
• 1 small yellow onion, small dice
• 2 tbsps roughly chopped parsley
• 2 tbsps freshly squeezed lemon juice
• 1 cup marinated artichoke hearts, quartered
• kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
• One 3 ½ to 4 pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces
• 3 tbsps roughly chopped fresh tarragon leaves
• 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, trimmed and quartered
- In a 6-quart Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Working in 2 batches, sear the chicken, turning as needed, until golden brown on all sides, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery and mushrooms, and cook until softened, 8 minutes. Sprinkle in the flour and cook until blond in color, 2 minutes. Pour in the wine and cook, stirring constantly, until reduced by half, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the browned chicken with the chicken stock, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer and cook, until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165º, 20 to 25 minutes. Discard the thyme and bay leaf, then season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and heavy cream. Once cooked, stir in 2 tablespoons of the chicken cooking liquid to the egg yolk mixture to temper. Stir the yolk mixture back into the pot with the peas, artichoke hearts, tarragon and lemon juice. Divide between bowls and serve.
This great family recipe is thanks to Tasting Table Recipes at https://www.tastingtable.com/cook/recipes/french-chicken-fricassee-artichokes-easy-chicken-spring-recipes-one-pot-meal