Crispy rings of octopus with creamy, tangy aioli - this is exactly the type of snack summer calls for!
• Prep time: 5 minutes
• Cook time: 25 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• olive oil, to deep-fry
• 300g cleaned octpus
• well-seasoned plain flour, to coat
Saffron and green apple aioli:
• 1 tbsp lemon juice
• 1/3 cup (100g) aioli
• small pinch saffron threads
• 1/2 crisp green apple, cored but not peeled, very finely chopped
- For the saffron and green apple aioli, place saffron and lemon juice in a small pan and allow to just come to the boil. Quickly remove from heat and stand for 10 minutes, swirling occasionally, or until saffron has coloured the liquid a dark, golden colour and mixture has cooled. Stir in aioli and apple, then transfer to a serving bowl and set aside.
- Rinse the squid under cold water and pat dry with paper towel. Cut the tubes along one side and open them out.
- With a sharp knife, lightly score the inside surface with crisscross lines - don't cut too deeply, just enough to mark the flesh. Slice into 4cm squares. If using tentacles too, cut into small pieces.
- Fill a deep-fryer or large heavy-based saucepan one-third full of oil and heat to 190°C (a cube of bread will turn golden in 30 seconds when the oil is hot enough). Working in two batches, toss the squid with the flour until lightly coated, shaking off any excess, then deep-fry for 1-2 minutes or until lightly golden. Drain well on crumpled paper towels, season well and serve immediately with the aioli.
This great family recipe is thanks to delicious Recipes at https://www.delicious.com.au/recipes/crisp-squid-saffron-green-apple-allioli/c9ffe207-aaf3-4913-b804-784ccb4cd340?