Using a marinade infuses the beef with flavour as well as tenderising so you'll have juicy steak pieces even if you opt for a more economical cut of beef. Use the reserved marinade to baste the kabobs as they cook for extra flavour! Buy the beef in a block so you can cut them into large cubes. Makes 8 skewers.
• Prep time: 15 minutes
• Cook time: 8 minutes
• Yield: Serves 8-10
• 1 large red onion
• 16 small mushrooms
• 3 capsicum / bell peppers (red, yellow green)
• 750g / 1.5 lb beef tri tips , sirloin steak tips or other steak cut
• 2 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
• 1/4 tsp black pepper
• 2 tbsps balsamic vinegar
• 2 tbsps Worcestershire sauce
• 1 tsp minced garlic (2 large garlic clove)
• 1 tsp onion powder (or sub with garlic powder)
• 1 tbsp vegetable oil (or other neutral flavoured oil)
• Olive oil, for drizzling and cooking
• Finely chopped parsley , garnish (optional)
• 16 flat metal skewers , 25 - 30cm / 10 - 12"
- Cut the beef into 3.25cm / 1.3" wide cubes.
- Mix Marinade in a bowl. Add beef. Marinate for 1 - 24 hours, minimum 20 minutes.
- Cut capsicum and onion into 3.25cm / 1.3" wide squares.
- Thread beef (reserve Marinade), vegetables and mushrooms on each skewer. I use 2 pieces of vegetables between each piece of beef. Thread loosely - don't smush together tightly (helps even cooking).
- Brush kebabs lightly with Reserved Marinade (including vegetables), then drizzle with olive oil.
- Heat BBQ or large skillet over high heat. Add 1 tbsp oil, then when smoking, cook kebabs in batches for 2 minutes on each side until slightly charred (4 sides = 8 minutes in total), basting with Reserved Marinade as you go.
- Transfer to plate, cover loosely with foil and rest for 3 minutes before serving. Garnish with parsley if desired. See note for pictured Pink Dipping Sauce.
This great family recipe is thanks to Recipe-Tin-Eats Recipes at https://www.recipetineats.com/marinated-beef-kabobs/