• Cook time: 45 minutes
• Yield: Serves 8-10
Ingredients• 2 lemons
• 1 large red chilli
• 2-3 spring onions
• 2 tbsps plain flour
• 1 tsp chilli powder
• 1/2 tsp ground cumin
• 1/2 tsp ground ginger
• 1/2 tsp ground fennel seeds
• 700 ml vegetable oil , for deep-frying
• 2 x 200 g duck breasts, skin on, trimmed of excess fat
• 1/2 tsp sichuan seasoning, plus extra to serve (see tip)
- Arrange the duck breasts, skin-side up, on a heatproof plate that will fit inside a steamer basket. Place inside the steamer and position over a deep saucepan or wok of boiling water and steam, covered, for 12 minutes or until the duck is half cooked.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the flour, chilli powder, cumin, fennel, sichuan seasoning (see tip), ginger and 3 teaspoons of sea salt.
- Remove the plate from the steamer, transfer the duck breasts to a wire rack and set aside for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, finely slice the chilli on the diagonal, then trim and julienne the spring onions. Halve the lemons.
- Toss the duck in the spicy flour mixture to coat well, shaking off any excess. In a wok, heat the oil until it shimmers slightly. Deep-fry the duck for about 2 minutes, or until just cooked through and lightly browned. Drain well on kitchen paper.
- Cut the duck on the diagonal into 1cm slices and arrange on a serving platter with a small bowl of sichuan seasoning.
- Garnish with the sliced chilli and spring onions, then serve immediately with the lemon halves for squeezing over the meat.
TIP: Sichuan pepper with salt is a seasoning that crops up in many Chinese recipes. You can buy sichuan (or szechuan) pepper in Asian supermarkets, Waitrose and Ocado. To make sichuan pepper and salt seasoning, dry-roast 1 tablespoon of sichuan pepper and 3 tablespoons of sea salt in a heavy-based pan. When the peppercorns start to pop and become aromatic, remove from the heat and allow to cool. Once cool, grind to a powder in a pestle and mortar or spice grinder. Store in an airtight container. Makes 4 tablespoons.
This great family recipe is thanks to Jamie Oliver Recipes at https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/duck-recipes/spicy-salt-duck/