• Prep time: 5 minutes
• Cook time: 15 minutes
• Yield: Serves 2
• 500ml vegetable or peanut oil for deep frying
• 10 oysters, freshly shucked or from a pottle (if frozen, defrost beforehand)
• 1 cups of corn or plain flour
• 1/2 tsp baking powder
• 1/2 cup of ice-cold sparkling water
• 1 tsp white pepper
- Heat oil in wok or saucepan over high heat to 160°C/375°F. Line a large plate with paper towels.
- Drain oysters, pat dry and coat in a thin layer of flour.
- Mix 1/2 cup flour with baking powder in a medium-sized bowl. Whisk in sparkling water to create a batter.
- Working with 5 oysters at a time to avoid overcrowding, dip oysters in the batter and deep fry until golden brown, about 5 minutes in total. You may need to flip them halfway through to ensure even browning.
- Once done, transfer to towel-lined plate with slotted spoon to drain. Repeat with remaining oysters. Dust with white pepper and serve with gomen tsuyu sauce for dipping.
Serving Sauce: Mentsuyu sauce (Japanese dipping noodle sauce often sold concentrated and diluted with water; can be found in Asian supermarkets). Add some chopped spring onions and fried garlic to it.
This recipe was sent in by one of our favorite local chefs Michelle Tang from KitchenMess https://kitchenmess.com/2018/04/13/crispy-fried-oysters/