You really can't go wrong with a good roast beef sandwich. I decided to update the deli classic with a few new flourishes. But don't worry, those two hallmarks of a great roast beef sando--horseradish and mustard--won't be going anywhere.
• Prep time: 12 minutes
• Cook time: 18 minutes
• Yield: Serves 1-2
• 2 tbsps mayonnaise
• 2 tsps whole grain Dijon mustard
• 1 tsp freshly grated horseradish
• ½ tsp lemon zest
• ½ medium red onion, thinly sliced
• 1 cup packed baby red Russian kale or baby spinach
• ½ pound rare roast beef, thinly sliced (from a deli)
• 1 rosemary ciabatta roll, split horizontally and toasted
• Salt, to taste
- In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise, mustard, horseradish and lemon zest; set aside.
- Place a small saucepan over medium heat. When hot, add the oil, onions and a bit of salt and cook, stirring often, until the onions have become very soft and jam-like, about 14 to 16 minutes. Transfer the onions to a small bowl. To the same saucepan, add the kale and sauté over medium heat until the kale begins to wilt, 1 to 2 minutes.
- To assemble, spread the mayo mixture on the top side of bread. On the bottom half of the bread, layer the roast beef, wilted kale and caramelized onions. Top with the other side of bread, slice in half and serve.
This great family recipe is thanks to Tasting-Table Recipes at https://www.tastingtable.com/entry_detail/chefs_recipes/17246/How_to_Make_a_Roast_Beef_Sandwich.htm