Prawn curry in under half an hour, even when you make your own spice paste. Add tamarind and coconut milk for flavour and serve with rice and chapatis.
• Prep and cook time: 20 minutes
• Yield: Serves 2
• rice to serve
• 1/2 tsp turmeric
• chapatis to serve
• coriander to serve
• 1 clove garlic, crushed
• 2 tbsps tamarind paste
• 180g raw peeled prawns
• 1 green chilli, finely sliced
• 1 tsp cumin seeds, toasted
• 1 tsp coriander seeds, toasted
• 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
• thumb-sized piece ginger, peeled and grated
• 200ml coconut milk (freeze the rest to use another time)
- Grind the toasted seeds with a pestle and mortar. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and cook the onion with a pinch of salt until soft and golden.
- Add the ginger, garlic, turmeric and spices then fry for 1 minute. Pour in the coconut milk, add the tamarind and chilli and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Tip in the prawns, cover and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until they turn pink. Serve with rice and chapatis.
This great family recipe is thanks to Olive Magazine at https://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/fish-and-seafood/tamarind-prawn-curry/