These rice paper rolls are filled with crunchy tempura prawns, avocado and spicy mayonnaise.
• Prep time: 5 minutes
• Cook time: 10 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 16 rice paper sheets
• lime wedges, to serve
• sunflower oil, to deep-fry
• 1/4 cup (60ml) soy sauce
• 2/3 cup (200g) mayonnaise
• 2 tsps black sesame seeds
• 1 cup (250ml) sparkling water
• 2 carrots, cut into matchsticks
• 2 small avocados, thinly sliced
• 1/4 cup (60ml) black rice vinegar
• 1 bunch coriander, leaves picked
• 1 tbsp sambal oelek (indonesian chilli paste)
• 16 green prawns, peeled (tail intact), deveined
• 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour, seasoned with salt, plus extra to dust
- Combine mayonnaise and sambal oelek in a bowl. In a separate bowl, combine soy sauce and vinegar. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat to 160°C (a cube of bread will turn golden in 45 seconds). Whisk flour and sparkling water until combined. Dust the prawns in extra flour, then, in batches, dip in the batter. Deep-fry for 3 minutes or until golden and puffed. Drain on paper towel.
- Soak 1 rice paper sheet in a bowl of cold water for 30 seconds or until pliable, then place on a clean work surface. Place a few slices of avocado at the end nearest to you. Top with sesame, carrot, coriander, 1 prawn and some chilli mayonnaise.
- Fold in the sides of the sheet, then roll up to enclose. Repeat to make 16 rolls.
- Serve rice paper rolls with the soy dipping sauce, remaining chilli mayonnaise and lime wedges to squeeze over.
This great family recipe is thanks to delicious at https://www.delicious.com.au/recipes/tempura-prawn-rice-paper-rolls-chilli-mayonnaise/a1d60c3b-63df-4e13-8c5c-24f420d889c8?